Halloween can be a great night for the whole family. While some choose to stay home and pass out candy, others choose to join in on the trick-or-treat festivities by taking the kids door to door. If the latter sounds like your family, it is important that you consider the safety of yourself and your children.
Because Halloween night usually consists of many children and adults walking through neighborhoods in search of yummy goods, pedestrian accidents are quite common during this holiday evening. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration states that, on average, 30 pedestrians are killed each year due to auto accidents. To keep you and your family safe, consider the helpful tips listed below.
1. If you are a parent and will be joining your child, hold their hand.
- Sometimes, young children will be distracted by other matters especially on a night when other children are running around the neighborhood. By holding their hand, you can keep them from running in busy streets.
2. If your children will be going with friends, make sure to tell them to use and obey all crosswalks.
- Many parents allow their children to join their friends on Halloween night. If this is you, it is important to sit down with your kids beforehand and explain to them the importance of using and obeying all walking signs and crosswalk. Persons are more noticeable to drivers when they remain in lit crosswalks.
3. Look left-right-and left again before crossing the street.
- Most people have hear the phrase, “Look both ways before crossing the street.” It is important to check all directions of a street before crossing, even in a neighborhood setting.
4. If your child is very young, take them in a stroller.
- If you have young child and plan to take them trick-or-treating, keep them in stroller until you get to the front of a house. By keeping your children strapped into a seat between houses, they will less likely to run in the streets.
5. If you are going to cross a street where no moving vehicles are visible, cross in a well-lit area.
- If you are in a neighborhood and need to cross a street that does not have crosswalks, make sure that you and your children cross in a well-lit areas. These well-lit places can be found directly under street lamps.
The Daspit Law Firm Wants You to Have a Safe Halloween
The Beaumont personal injury lawyers at The Daspit Law Firm want you and your family to enjoy a night of fun on Halloween evening. Our teams understands that there are irresponsible and negligent drivers on the roads at any given time. That is why we believe that it is to your best interest to keep your children close and maintain supervision throughout the night.
If you or your child is involved in a pedestrian accident, do not hesitate to call the Beaumont pedestrian accident attorneys The Daspit Law Firm. We provide our clients with aggressive and relentless representation from beginning to end.
Pursue justice today! Get in touch with our team. You won’t pay a penny unless we win your case.