Health inspectors identified a variety of unappetizing (and potentially dangerous) conditions in Beaumont restaurants last week. According to a recent news article, inspectors found cockroaches, flies, and rotting food in fast food and dine-in local restaurants. Reporters indicated that the unsafe environments my no longer exist, but published a list of offending eateries on beaumontenterprise.com. The article mentioned dozens of popular locations, including:
- Buffalo Wild Wings
- Brazos Cattle Company
- Burger King
- Carrabba's Italian Grill
- Cat Fish Kitchen
- And More
In one restaurant, health inspectors even found employees' purses stored on cutting boards. Other common infractions were unsafe freezer / refrigerator temperatures, mold, and uncovered food.
Safety Violations & Risk of Food Poisoning
Unsafe conditions – especially those involving food storage – can quickly lead to illness. Food poisoning, although common, is a serious health risk in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), foodborne illnesses hospitalize an estimated 128,000 people in the United States every year and are responsible for approximately 3,000 deaths in the nation annually.